Apply for solar for low income households
The Solar for Low Income Households offer is expanding across NSW. Find out how you can get involved below.
Are you interested in solar energy? You may be eligible for a free 3 kilowatt solar system installed on your home. You will need to meet specific criteria and reside in an eligible location.
The Solar for Low Income Households offer helps eligible households access affordable clean energy by providing them with free solar systems. A solar system can help you unlock long term savings on your household electricity bills by up to $600 a year.
Over the next 12 months, the offer is expanding across NSW.
“I wouldn’t be able to afford solar panels by myself outside of the offer, and for people in my situation who have bought a home but don’t have a big chunk of money to spend on solar – it’s just great,” Kerina, Solar for Low Income Households participant.
What’s the offer?
This offer helps homeowners on low incomes reduce their electricity bills by installing 3 kilowatt solar systems on their homes.
Solar is a great way to reduce your environmental footprint and you can save up to $600 a year on your household electricity bills. That’s up to twice as much as the Low Income Household Rebate of $285 a year.
Am I eligible?
This offer is currently available for low income households in selected NSW locations.
To be eligible, you must:
- currently receive the Low Income Household Rebate
- agree not to receive the rebate for ten years
- hold a valid Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans’ Affairs Gold Card
- own your house
- not already have a solar PV system
- live in one of the following NSW locations:
- Regional NSW (eligible postcodes in the Central Coast, North Coast, Illawarra – Shoalhaven and South Coast)
- Greater Sydney (eligible local government areas)
If you are not the registered homeowner but your spouse is, your household may be eligible.
If you’re not currently in an eligible location, but live in NSW and are interested in participating in this offer, fill in your details in the form below. We’ll notify you when your location becomes eligible.
How to apply
- Click on the Apply Here button below. We recommend you use Google Chrome as your preferred browser.
- Follow the steps to Register your account to access the application form. You will need to enter your details and create a password.
- Complete the Eligibility check, Eligibility application and Consent sections.
- Submit your application.
To complete your application, you will need to upload the following:
- a Council rates notice or similar evidence to confirm that you own your home. If you don't have a Council rates notice, please contact the Solar for Low Income Households team by filling out the form below to discuss other forms of evidence.
- a recent electricity bill to confirm that you are receiving the Low Income Household Rebate.
- an image of your Pensioner Concession Card or Department of Veterans' Affairs Gold Card to confirm it is valid and up to date.
If you need assistance to complete and submit your application form, call Service NSW on 13 77 88 or visit your nearest Service NSW centre.
Once you have submitted your application and your eligibility is approved:
- We will notify you by email and send your details to the approved solar installer in your area.
- The installer contacts you to arrange a house suitability assessment.
- The installer organises your contract and installation of your free solar system.
- Your solar system is set up and you’re moved off the Low Income Household Rebate. The installer provides you with training on how to use your system so you can benefit from using solar energy.
Approved installers information
The approved installers for the eligible locations are:
|North Coast||SAE Group||6638 9439|
|Central Coast||Origin Energy||1300 791 468|
|Illawarra – Shoalhaven||Origin Energy||1300 791 468|
|South Coast||SolarHub||4488 4220|
|Greater Sydney LGAs:
||SAE Group||6638 9439|
|Greater Sydney LGAs:
||Origin Energy*||1300 791 468|
*Please note Origin Energy was the previous approved installer for all Sydney-South installations.
These installers are responsible for supplying and installing the solar systems.
No other companies are authorised to carry out installations under the offer.
Read more here about how solar savings took the sting out of a difficult year for Dave and Isobel.
Read more here about how Catherine couldn’t believe her good fortune after qualifying for a free solar system
Watch more here about why Bob took up the offer of a free solar system through the trial to access renewable energy and save on power bills.
Other ways to save on your electricity and gas bills
To help you more easily compare energy deals, visit Energy Made Easy. This is a free service to find the best available plans for your household based on your energy usage.
Get in touch
If you have questions or wish to be notified when your location becomes eligible, fill out your details below.
Thanks for contacting us.