Electric vehicle destination charging grants
Helping NSW charge ahead
There's never been a better time to get your location on the map! Grow your business, attract new customers and drive more visitors to your region thanks to our Drive electric NSW EV destination charging grants!
We are investing $20 million to assist eligible regional NSW destinations by co-funding the purchase and installation of EV chargers.
An investment in EV charging by your business will:
- attract new visitors to your site
- enhance your visitors’ experience
- increase the average length of time visitors spend at your site
- enable you to promote your location and EV charging facilities through online charging maps, future EV tourist drives, and word of mouth.
By joining the growing EV charging network across NSW, you will also be part of the solution to reduce carbon emissions and help reach our Net Zero emissions target.
With EV owners planning trips around charging locations, an EV charger on your site makes your business a welcoming place to stop and stay for longer.
A key action of the NSW Electric Vehicle Strategy, the grants will encourage the growth of the EV market by:
- overcoming range anxiety (battery charge) through a widespread EV charging network
- supporting EV-ready regional destinations across the state
- supporting the continued growth of our visitor economy
- ability to cater for an increasing number of EV drivers.
Grant overview for businesses
The grants will fund the following for up to 4 EV chargers per site:
- 75% towards the cost of an eligible 7 kW and/or 22 kW electric vehicle charger(s)
- 75% towards the cost of installation (capped at $1,000 per charger)
- 50% towards a 2-year EV charger software subscription from the EV charger software list.
To be eligible, you must be:
- located in an eligible regional NSW local government area (LGA)
- an approved destination type as listed on page 25 of the guidelines
- have no more than one existing EV charger installed.
Additional eligibility requirements for each site apply and more details are outlined in the guidelines. Please read the full EV destination charging grants guidelines to understand the eligibility requirements and how they relate to your business.
To help prepare your application, make sure you refer to the guidelines, which provide essential information, including:
- eligibility and application requirements
- application process and assessment
- what the grants will and will not co-fund
- EV charger installation and software
- evidence requirements
- receiving co-funding payment.
These guidelines are relevant for round one, which will open for applications on Monday 23 May 2022. Guidelines, including eligibility criteria, may be updated for future funding rounds.
Round one applications
Applications for funding round one will open from 1pm, Monday 23 May, 2022 and will remain open for 4 months until 5pm, Friday 23 September, 2022.
A total funding allocation of $7 million will be available in round one. There will be multiple funding rounds through to 2024 supporting the growth of the EV destination charger network across regional NSW.
To help you prepare your application, download the application checklist below to ensure you have all documentation required to apply.
If your site is operating under a lease agreement with a landlord/landowner, please download and complete the landowner consent form below prior to starting your application.
Planning for your application, installation and operation
We are preparing guidance materials to help you understand the requirements to plan for and operate your EV chargers. Even if you are unsuccessful or not eligible for this grant, you can use these documents to help you plan for, purchase, and install an EV charger now or in the future.
These supporting documents will be made available before applications open. Make sure you sign up to our e-news below to be one of the first to know when they are published.
- Application checklist [PDF]
Follow the steps in this checklist before beginning your application form.
- How to understand the electrical and EV charging needs at your site [PDF]
Gain an overview of charging considerations and guidance on your site’s overall charging suitability. This includes how much power is available, what size, and how many chargers you may need.
- Placing your EV charger for maximum impact (coming soon)
Get advice on selecting the most suitable charger location at your site, including key considerations to ensure accessibility, visibility, safety, and features to attract drivers to your site.
- Where to install your EV charger (coming soon)
Practical steps on purchasing and installing your EV charger, including essential requirements for this grant, the grant application process, and tips on getting the most out of your charger.
- How to operate and manage your EV charger (coming soon)
Discover more about typical EV charger components, the benefits of EV charger software, and operational tips to keep your charger running smoothly.
- How to offer EV charging at your destination (coming soon)
Understand the average electricity cost to run an EV charger and the commercial considerations when providing EV charging for your visitors (and whether to make it free or charge a fee).
- How to provide the best EV charging experience for your visitors (coming soon)
Make your destination stand out to EV drivers at all stages of their charging experience and keep them coming back.
- Landowner consent form (this will be made available on 24 May 2022)
If your organisation operates under a lease agreement with a landlord/landowner at any site you are looking to install an EV charger on, use this form to obtain their consent prior to beginning your application form.
Successful grant recipients
If successful, applicants will receive an email with the approved site(s) (if more than one site is included in your application), the exact co-funding amount, the date the EV charger(s) must be installed by, and supporting documentation required to receive grant payment within the 4-months (or 8-months for flood-affected areas) installation timeframe.
Support for applicants
Join us at for an information session on 1 June 2022. This not-to-be-missed online event will offer an overview of the application process, eligibility requirements, and how to receive payment if successful. Reserve your virtual seat.
If you have any further questions once you have read the guidelines and FAQs, please email [email protected].
Stay up to date
If you wish to receive updates on support for EVs or other Government initiatives fill in your details below.
Thank you for registering your interest.